Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Something to rememeber here is that not every company we purchase will meet all the criteria. Direction is often more important than location."

I agree, which is one reason why I nominated Ericsson. As I said in my original post, they are close but not quite there in both gross and net margins. And their net margins have increased steadily over the last few years.

Otherwise, they fit the CK criteria very well. In addition, they have grown at a 31.1% rate over the last 5 years, and Zacks has them down for a 25.7% rate over the next 5. They are a world-wide name, even if they are not as well known in this country, but recognizability in this country alone is certainly not a determining criterion.

The major negatives as I see them (beyond the slightly sub-standard gross and net margins) are that they have only really been a force the last three years or so, so they don't have the track record of a company like Johnson & Johnson, for instance. In addition, although they are well positioned to take enormous advantage of the Asian market, as we have seen that is a double-edged sword. Still, assuming that market will eventually take off (especially in China), Ericsson is in the drivers seat.

Although there is no reason to select a foreign company just because we haven't yet, there are several very strong candidates out there, and only one of them made it onto anyone's list. I love Louis Vuitton, by the way, but I think Tom just picked that one so that he'd have an excuse to break out the champagne early. :c)

==> david
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.