No. of Recommendations: 1
"SP: The theme song of hikers would obviously be:

<<
Ring the good ol' bugle, boys, we'll sing another song,
Sing it with the spirit that will start the world along,
Sing it as we used to sing it 50,000 strong
While we were marching through Georgia.

etc

Dad moved to Georgia during WW-2 for a better job. (I don't know how he managed to avoid the draft.) He found at that time that the Civil War was still recalled with rancor. The word Yankee was always preceded by "Damn". In later years I found him to be racist and conservative in his views, but he could not tolerate the way Georgia treated people of color. Sherman's march to the sea was a disaster for everyone, not only for the army. I suspect the people in Georgia are still angry over the excessive brutality of that expedition.

CNC "

My DW was from Lancaster, Ohio - birthplace of General Sherman. When we drove
to Florida for our honeymoon, she refused to drive through Atlanta. She had
heard of drivers being harassed. I had never thought about the situation -
but when "The Civil War" show on national public television came on, there was a
discussion about "Marching Through Georgia" and the song was played as a dirge in
Georgia.

I forgot to mention driving around Columbia, SC - as that was a city where the Union forces
had been claimed to have started the fires that destroyed the city. However, the
fires were thought to be from other causes.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.