Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
"Speaking of which, my college degree in finance tells me you are investing in a stock with a billion plus in market cap and very little opportunity to make money on a FREE product."

Myron,

If you really are interested in learning, read the FAQ. It was written by some of the frequent posters here (some of whom may have a college degree, too, but not me!) and explains things like "How can Red Hat make money on a free product?"

"How about, provide you with a support team of everyone you work with or live next too."

Yeah. People who open virus's from a guy named "spankdamonkey" simply because it says "I have question for you, please look document" are quality support staffers. There is a good reason that I have a full-time job providing various levels of support to computer users - something Red Hat does as well.

"Maybe built in software that handles photos easily or plays music is appealing."

He did say "things Linux can't do that Windows can". There are plenty of "built-in" software packages that do both of the above. In the average Linux install, you get more than one way to do it, even.

"My investment of time will pay off because Windows future is much brighter then Linux. If all the people out of work in the world walked in and told their potential boss they don't know anything about Windows because they have used Linux the past 5 years, buzzz wrong answer... NEXT APPLICANT PLEASE. Check the want ads. 99% of all jobs don't ask for Linux experience."

Myron, a few points. I'm not going to argue the future of Linux vs. Windows, as we'll never get anywhere, but...

1) "Linux is going nowhere" is the same attitude people had toward Windows...once. Nothing lives forever.

2) The world, unlike computers, is not binary. It *IS* possible to learn Windows systems and Linux systems equally well...AND, for a limited time offer, you too can have a social life! ;)

3) 99% of all job ads are made my HR people who don't really have a clue what the actual job requirements are. So far, the last three jobs I've had all had ads requiring a college degree. So far, I've held three jobs since I dropped out of college. My boss hired me because I show a willingness to learn, adaptability, and a wide breadth of knowledge that forms a nice foundation for everything else. He doesn't care what I use at home or what stocks I invest in as long as our clients are happy with my work.

"Gosh, poor old dumb Myron has only helped about 10,000 people with computers in the past 20 years and not one person has asked for a computer that runs 1000 days without rebooting."

Baby steps, Myron. How many people have asked you for a computer "that doesn't @#$(ing crash every #*%#$ing 10 minutes!?!?" ? ;)

"I may not know Linux, but I know a lot about investing and Microsoft. You would be wise to learn."

Myron, no offense, but while you show quite a bit of enthusiasm for investing and MSFT specifically, you tend to miss the finer points. A) It's not considered the Foolish thing to do when you get emotionally attached to your investment. B) People invest in stocks, not companies. If you are shorting a stock, or looking for quick profit-taking, or even medium-term profit taking on hype, are profits really all that important?

Rob Nelson
ronelson@vt.edu
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.