No. of Recommendations: 0
..."subjective experience", sometimes called eyewitness testimony, is the least reliable evidence there is.

Subjective experience is not called eyewitness testimony and the unreliability of the latter is not due to the former. What is unreliable is memory, in large part because our day-to-day survival is not dependent as much on recollections of the past. Contrast that with subjective experience. When you drive a car in traffic you have to make thousands of perceptions about the real world that if not accurate will result in accidents. The fact that so many can drive cars, operate heavy machinery, manipulate toxic chemicals, etc without killing themselves and others indicates that the vast majority of subjective perceptions of reality are accurate.

Simple fact is that if your subjective experience of reality was not extremely accurate you would almost certainly have fallen off a cliff, eaten poison, or gotten run over by a bus by now.

I see something one way, my wife sees it differently.

Suppose you and your wife are looking at a banana. How likely is it you two would disagree on the identity of the fruit you are looking at?

If you were to tell me you experienced something (free will, alien abduction, wake up to see Jesus standing at the foot of your bed, whatever), I would believe you experienced something but would not necessarily accept your interpretation without additional evidence.

You question your subjective perception when you perceive something unusual. I doubt that you do so when perceiving the ordinary. When you go outside at night and see the moon, do you question your interpretation of that perception? People make hundreds of conscious decisions a day and in every case there is the perception that those decisions were made by subjective thoughts. That is a remarkably consistent and ordinary perception.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.