Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"The Insurance matter."

We do get employer group health insurance. Costs a lot though - probably more than obamacare.

OK, I was wrong - You're not covered under a plan provided by the Fed that is comparable to coverage provided military personnel and congress persons who enact laws for the rest of us. Group Health Insurance premiums, generally, depend upon the average age and average health of participants in the group - If you're young and healthy, and the average age is higher and average health is poorer, you can often do better with an Individual policy, unless your employer is funding a substantial part of the premium. What do you consider "Costs a lot?"

"Obamacare" under the ACA isn't particularly cheap, either, unless you qualify for taxpayer help with premiums and out-of-pocket benefit costs, which involves a ton of paperwork, audits and pulling funds from Income Tax refunds if actual income exceeds projected - It's a paperwork nightmare. I don't have the time to help participants with the paperwork involved - I could make more stocking shelves at WalMart than from commissions paid for policies placed through the Health Insurance Marketplace. If someone wants to deal with that I refer them to the Marketplace, and will not/cannot afford to help them with the paperwork involved. If they want an ACA qualified plan outside of the Health Insurance Marketplace I can and will do that, as I can afford to w/o being encumbered with an avalanche of paperwork. One of the things that I do like about the ACA is guaranteed insurability.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.