Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The key to smooth tax return processing is to make sure that the name on his return matches the name in SSA records. If he has filed for a change at SSA, he should wait to file his return until SSA confirms they've made the change. Then he files under the "new" name.

If he hasn't yet submitted a change request to SSA, he should file under the old name. Once the tax return is processed, he can proceed with the SSA name change.

In either case the signature on the return matches the name on the return.


Thanks Phil,
He has received a new SS card with new name. The SS number is the same.
So he should use new name in the "Label here" area of 1040EZ and also
sign signature with new name? The W-2 will still reflect birth name but SS # is correct.
Thanks again.
Senior Citizen

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.