Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
"The music I play from my HP laptop is at the highest bit rate and all store bought music . . . either from CDs or Rhapsody. I do not want to leave my workmates in this bar without a collection of country music in digital files."

Store bought by who? IANAL but I'd be careful. Who does the license or physical copy of the music belong to? If it's them or from CDs (ripped) you ned to leave it and every copy behind with them (sorry). To do that you can cut=>paste from your old one to their new one (either through an ethernet connection, a removable drive, or a USB2Go cable).
If any of it is your music then they need to buy a new copy/license (i.e. from Rhapsody) as you have no right to copy it and distribute it to them.
Just sayin....since you shared that this is for a business you might want to make sure you & they are doing what's legal both in terms of copyright law adherence and pay to play licensing - this category of background or dance music (my presumption) is called "mechanical music" and requires royalty payments:

See # 8:

And just because the Napster dust-up of the 00's settled down a bit doesn't mean they aren't still prosecuting individuals or businesses like bars (these from this winter):

JMO but I wouldn't want to be the one blamed when/if later someone asks where did you get these copies from.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.