No. of Recommendations: 1
"The R-5 is listed as the class of the fund, other than that I am not really sure. For instance, the Putnam funds all seem to be Class Y. The American Funds all seem to be Class R-5. Not sure what that really means though as I haven't found a breakdown of different classes."

Just for reference, in mutual fund parlance, A shares are front loaded, B shares are back loaded, C shares are usually low back loaded but funded by 12b-1 fees and become A shares after some period.

Class Y shares are usually called advisor shares. They probably have a special negotiated rate. Or they may have extra large minimums and then extra low expense ratios (such as Vanguard's Admiral shares).

I have not heard of Class R, but again it is probably a special rate.

They all refer to the fee structure by which the people who run the account are compensated for the role they play in selecting that fund for your plan. Usually the fees involved cost you a fraction of a percent, but sometimes they can be higher. That's why you want to check them out.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.