Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 36
"these stocks just keep tracking the implosion in the ARK funds"

This is an excellent point that I don't think many pay enough attention to... not much of the movement in any Saul stock is due to the actual fundamentals of the individual stock... I believe most of the movement you see is due to trading in the ETF's that own the stocks... in Saul stock's case, probably mostly the ARK funds. As people/funds withdraw 100's of millions from the ARK funds, Cathie is probably just hitting a sell button that is selling these stocks across the board.

I also suppose further, that there are several managers on Wall Street that do not appreciate the attention Woods receive last year for her stock picking... and probably sell/and/or/short the ARK funds just to make her look bad...

And even further... it was Bill Hwang of Archegos (he of record setting margin calls just a while back) that provided all of the seed money to Woods to start the ARK funds... so you can probably suppose that he was a big holder of the funds. I don't know if it's been said, but I think we can suppose that his liquidation has probably meant much selling of the ARK funds. So I think we can safely assume that a lot of the weakness in the Saul stocks lately have nothing to do with the companies, or even interest rates, or inflation, or COVID... but just because some crazy trader put on some super crazy margin bets that went bust.

So I'm just pointing out... on days when all these companies seem to move in lockstep, it has nothing to do with these companies being worth 4% more or less than yesterday, but that someone just invested or withdrew $100M from an ARK fund...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.