No. of Recommendations: 2
"This case might be winnable, it might not be -- but if stating as fact that somebody is a liar, and has engaged in manipulation of a security (a criminal act) isn't defamation, I'm scratching my head as to what exactly would be."

If it could be shown that several of Maris' statements in his research reports were, in fact, false, wouldn't that show the statements to be nondefamatory? That statement also does not indicate that Maris *knowingly* made false statements. Moreover, if I recall correctly, I thought that it is reasonable to assert that someone is a liar since everybody is assumed to have lied at least once in their lives.

Also, Maris is a public figure.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.