Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
"Those who can't do, teach."

Those who can't understand that the world's a complex place, fall back on pithy yet profoundly misleading aphorisms that belittle others but ultimately reflect more about themselves than the erstwhile targets of their scorn.

Phew.

"I'm rubber and you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you."

Dueling banjo insults.

Hey, this is fun!

Anyway, as an engineer and the child of a computer science professor and a librarian, it's my duty to try to restrain those of you who just couldn't control the knee-jerk impulse to bash those ever-clueless academics. Think again. Who's more clueless? The corporate IT strategist focussed on next quarter's bottom line, or the university researcher working on technology that won't be mature for 20 years? Obviously, we're talking about vastly different value systems and thought processes.

Sure, there are some hacks and know-nothings in the universities, but there are also bright, forward-looking folks as well. Until proven otherwise, I'll assume these ACM folks are the latter. And I agree with them---computers are still too hard to use.

I am a bit miffed that they picked on the iMac, though. iMacs are so cuddly! What's not to love, except possibly a general lack of RAM out of the box? It's just another instance of the John Dvorak male-chauvanist impulse, alive and well among programmers and engineers, unfortunately.

-iJoel

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.