Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"To be honest, if you don't have $180 extra in your vacation budget, I don't advise traveling to begin with. But I don't know where you're going. If it's Asia, maybe the budget trip would be OK. If it's Europe, you will be wiped out the first time you sit down to a meal, what with the outrageous heights of the pound and the euro."

It isn't that I don't have the money. But we hadn't budgeted for a fall vacation this year. Then some friends gave us a week at their time share, and I was able to use frequent-flier miles to get DW and myself there. We were planning on eating in most of the time, with a total vacation budget of less than $200 once we got their. But you're right, the expense makes sense considering we'll get up to 10 years of foreign travel.

"I'm surprised that anyone would leave something as important as a passport to what is literally the last minute since it's such a basic part of trip planning."

I'm just as surprised. My wife can testify that I'm normally a meticulous planner, and quite anal when it comes to preparing for vacations. I've just been so busy that I kept putting it off. This vacation is coming at just the right time.

"We're taking a trip early October that required passports. We applied the last week of August and received them back in 8 business days. The best advice I received when applying, having to do with expediting the process, was to apply for them the regular way; if you don't receive them within 10 days of your trip, then ask for them to be expedited. You can track the process as it goes on."

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I could request expedition in the middle of the process.

Benevolent
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.