Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"To get to exclude the gain from both halves of the duplex, the two halves would have to be sold in two transactions, separated by at least two years"

Hmm, how about converting the property into a single unit before moving in? How about having the husband move into one side, and the wife into the other for two years? I don't think there's any rule that says a husband and wife have to have the same address.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.