Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"To say that a different way, if you own REITs that are generating a dividend of 8%, and you are spending the entire dividend, then you probably are falling behind inflation, and could eventually run out of money."--rkmacdonald
Very true.

What I look for, in my initial screening, are REITs on the Realty Stock Review "Income Portfolio" list that have (1) a fairly generous dividend (currently around 8%); (2) a payout ratio that is not excessive; and (3) a total expected return that is close to double that of the dividend. Getting all dividend and almost no capital appreciation is not good. I also have some "blue chip" REITs with somewhat lower dividends but better growth prospects.

The nice thing about these sizeable dividends is that portions of them can be treated like long term capital gains and you don't have to sell stock to obtain extra income above and beyond pensions, Social Security, etc.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.