Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"US Treasury's I Series Savings Bonds... starting May 1, they will be yielding 3.5%..."

Stas,

Are you sure about that 3.5% rate? Here's from the Treasury Direst website.

Q: What interest will I get if I buy an I bond now?
A: The composite rate for I bonds issued from November 2020 through April 2021 is 1.68 percent. This rate applies for the first six months you own the bond.

Q: How does Treasury figure the I bond interest rate?
A: The interest on I bonds is a combination of a fixed rate, and an inflation rate.

Yeah, inflation --in the layman's sense of 'price increases'-- is on the rise. But due to shenanigans at the Bureau of Economic Propaganda (aka, the BLS), the CPI won't reflect what Main Street is experiencing. Instead, what will be reported will be a much lower number that will be consistent with prior, only slightly trending upward numbers.

The other half of the composite rate is a fixed interest rate, which the Fed has pledged to keep low for the near future and couldn't raise in any case because our spendthrift gov't wouldn't be able to service its increasing debts, never mind also further trashing the $US and --hence-- the US economy.

Therefore, my bet that the composite rate for I bonds issued in the May to Nov period will be about 1.75%, not twice that.

Now, here's the other side of the discussion. Only $10k can be dumped into I bonds per year, and most of us are trying to park multiples of that while we wait for The Big Crash. MM funds, T-Bills, and such still have a positive nominal yield, but aren't worth fussing with because the yield is so low and aren't as convenient and easily accessible as a high-yield checking account at a credit union, some of which offer as much as 1.5% on the first $15k.

Arindam
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.