Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Ward comes home from a days work, puts his feet up, reads the paper, puffs on his pipe. June checks on the kids, puts her feet up too and reads some magazine. "Oh Ward Las Vegas looks so pretty, can we go this summer", "Sure hon, we'll load up the woody and head west for 2-3 weeks, I'm sure the boss will give me the extra time off"

- ---

Ha...most folks 60 years ago....ate 99% of their meals at home. Never ordered a pizza out -if they wanted one - and most didn't - they made it from scratch at home for $2 instead of $15 delivered plus tip.

When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, dad had a decent job with the NY telco. Got standard vacation - no way to take extra time off. You got 2 weeks or 3 weeks and that was it. Period. Union rules, etc. Magazines? Heck, most folks back then might have gotten one or two magazine subscriptions a year. I got Boys Life but paid for it my mowing neighbor yard or shoveling neighbor driveway. Think mom got Readers Digest and maybe we got Life Magazine. That was it. Load up; the care with 'magazines'?

Hardly - our vacations were tent camping - as we toured some of the national parks. 8x10 canvas tent. Cooked all our meals. Lunch was sandwiches made from the 'cooler' ....the little ice box....

Eventually dad bought a piece of property 300 feet from a lake....and he and brothers BUILT from scratch a 20x30 foot concrete block house, including foundation down 3 feet, roofed it, wired it, made a stone fireplace, dug an outhouse, etc, in Northern NJ. Money spent over 10 years but livable in 1 year. No 'Las Vegas' hotels for 3 weeks. Dream on!

Bought main house in 'far NJ' suburbs in 1948 with Veterans loan..... a few percent interest back then (but same these days on mortgages). Finished off attic in 1 1/2 story house. Finished half of basement. DIdn't whine about not having 5 bedrooms, two living spaces, separate dining room, chandeliers, 20 foot high entry way, two car garage.....ours was 800 sq foot on main floor, one bathroom, washing machine downstairs, solar dryer in yard....small one car garage - and that's all it held beside the push lawn mower. And snow shovel or two...

- - ---

"20% of country come home from job, worry about paying the rent this month, keeping the heating on, getting enough food. Many of those in normal times, turn around and go to second job, pat the kids on the as they head out to school in the morning before crashing. A vacation to them getting the kids in the church summer school program, so you can pull the dinner shift somewhere. "

Probably true for lots of people - but then again, not for the rest of the country. Get a decent education, trade school, etc, and you won't be sitting at min wage..... in fact, very few are....most make more.

No matter how you slice it.....20% of all people are going to be in the bottom 20% of all people......

And expectations today far exceed what they were 60 years ago.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.