No. of Recommendations: 2
"We need to think about not only what we are teaching our children about money, but also what we are teaching them about living sustainably on the earth."

Great connection to the Affluenza Epidemic. I live in La-La Land, home of Spoiled Children And Their Parents, and it's such a joke to see 16 year-olds with brand-new SUVs each summer, thanks to their insecure parents. There is no sense of ANYTHING, it seems, with these folks. Not the environment, life, health, politics...nada. It's all about who has what and "why don't I have the same thing?".

Now, I see it in my own family. My nephews feel entitled to everything, because they've never had to take responsibility for anything. Their mother was raised the same way, always bailed out of her financial indiscretions. When I try to hold conversations with any of them, the talk is only about possessions and the latest gadgets.

Although my sister and I have the same parents, I was raised differently, I guess because I was the end of the litter and money was scarce. I always paid for half of all big-ticket birthday gifts (stereo, bicycle), so I learned the value of money. I also learned how valuing money is equivalent to gaining freedom. Freedom to retire early, freedom to travel anywhere, freedom to enjoy life, freedom to value the planet and ALL of its denizens.

You can't take it with you, folks. But, you can take memories and your self-esteem, and most importantly, your Freedom. You may call yourself an American, but if you're in debt and scared of losing what you own, you are not free. Our children are slaves to their own insecurities.

Gatobut
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.