Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"What characteristics make a welder really good?"

That is a hard question for me to answer since I don't think I am that great a welder but the difference between what I see in my friend Paki's welds and other people's welding is mostly in preparation and attention to detail.

Before welding two pieces of metal together the surfaces and areas must be absolutely clean. Many people do not clean the area they are about to weld good enough. When foreign objects, dust or any other material enters a weld it weakens the weld.

I have seen people do a welding job and I come back a week later and the area that was welded is broken right along the weld. That is the sign of a poor welding job because in most cases a weld when properly done on steel is usually stronger than the original two pieces of metal that are being welded together.

Question: Which is stronger the weld or the actual metal being welded together????

Answer:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2008071808304...

Yeah, it depends on what you are welding but most often on ship, it is steel that is being welded and bronze that is being brazed. We also have a TIG welder on board which can weld Stainless Steel.

Welding is a art and not everyone can do it well, although a lot of people say they are good at it but they are not. It is interesting that Paki is also a artist. He can draw extremely well. I think he went to college and took some type of art courses. He is a excellent artist.

Here is more on the art of Welding. It is a very interesting read:

http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.c...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.