Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
During the QCOM dicussion, I just heard David (apologize if perhaps I've confused him with Tom) say that, while he feels comfortable with his knowledge of the Internet, he does not feel the same about his grasp of wireless technology. In response, I'd just like to offer that it is now time to view the "Internet" and "Wireless" as, really, a single arena, both as an investment sector and as a cultural phenomenon. Wireless IS the Internet, and the Internet is wireless.

As an example, I'd look to what NTT DoCoMo is doing in Japan with the "i-mode" service, which is quickly becoming all the rage for teenagers there. Already, I read (Business Week, 1-17-2000) that 3 million have signed up for the service which allows wireless access to the Internet. And it's no secret that Nokia is pushing hard to get ready for the advent of 3rd generation cell phones, with enhanced web-surfing ability, in Europe.

As I understand it (and, I too, like David, recognize that I have MUCH to learn), the U.S. will lag (due in large part to regulatory differences) behind Europe and Japan in the implementaion of 3rd generation cell phone technology, with its attendant web-based capabilities. If that's true, however, it may be a silver lining for U.S. (foolish) investors, allowing them the opportunity to survey the changes overseas in search of the "next big thing" here.

Just my off-the-cuff $0.02,

Stubbed Toe
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.