Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Wow, those are very high rates. When and where did you buy them?"

chuckle...when I bought them about a year and a half ago that was about average.

<slapping forehead> Of course -- I got my head locked into 1/2/5/10 year maturities -- wasn't thinking about stuff that would have been a 6-or-7 year maturity along the way. Yeah, I remember CD rates declining in a weird mirror way to the yield on Treasuries creeping upward.

I saw dark clouds coming so I put about 30% of my investment funds into these two CDs and spread the rest in ten "highly rated" dependable long term mutual funds which currently have collectively lost 43% as of today. (I sold them at a -30% loss on the way down to about -82%,with the spring "rally" brought them back to -43%.(sigh)

Boy I don't know if you've read this board much but you and Joel (joelxwil) sure seem like kindred spirits. Last year Joel was predicting declines from what -- at the time -- seemed like very low spots. Eventually, around the time that I was thinking of moving somewhat into cash, he reported that he was 100% in cash. Sounds like you did better in that regard than I did (and many others here, I believe).

I have switched to another, some may say riskier, strategy of buying just one or two companies that I know well and can predict more closely what may happen. Still at the whim of the larger market conditions however, but not much way to eliminate that and still be there on the three or four days of the year that the market will make most of it's gains.

It's not very original of me to say that it is a stock-picker's market right now, but I'll say it anyway <g>. If I were better at it I'd probably be trying more of it. In lieu of that, I'm watching a few funds to see if any of their managers demonstrate that skill picking winners amidst the masses, and making money in a flat market). That, and continuing to contemplate this sector-rotation business I discussed elsewhere.

BTW as a side note, speaking of stock picking... I caught a report on CNBC about Goldman Sachs' recent quarterly earnings report. Those guys are making money in the midst of this supposed recession. And the report mentioned Warren Buffett's investment in that company (last year, whenever) including $5 billion in warrants, which had a strike price of $115. Now that the stock is near $150, old Warren is once again looking like a genius.

Of course, that's a stock and this is the mutual fund board... ;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.