No. of Recommendations: 1
"WWII, indeed! Old People started a war and proudly said, while waving the flag: "We ain't gonna fight it!" So, The Greediest Generation got drafted and played that violin for 70+ years. And remember Vietnam was written, produced, and directed by the WWII crowd. All those privates and lieutenants in 1945 were colonels and generals in 1965. "

It was only ONE MAN that got us into the Vietnam War and that was LBJ. He started out small, but doubled down each time the losses mounted. He sent more and more troops, but micro managed things so we couldn't bomb strategic targets and never went after their air force bases. We got shot to pieces, while LBJ didn't want to 'lose' a war for the first time in history and wouldn't back down.

Sorry, most boomers quickly saw through the charade.....but many went when they were drafted.

Many boomers were in college. I was born in June 1946...and graduated from college in 1968 right at the height of the war. If you flunked out of college, Uncle Sam would quickly invite you to a 2 year free tour of southeast Asia. When I got out, managed a 'job deferment' for a year...then was classified 1A.....and we had the draft lottery........which solved my problem as I got #356.

Fortunately, a Republican got into office and ended the war. A War which LBJ had no intention of every 'winning'.

55,000 Americans were slaughtered there for no real reason. Half a million injured in a war which LBJ micromanaged. The other idiot who micromanaged his generals was Hitler and you know how that turned out.

It wasn't generals that started or lost the war. It was just one man - LBJ.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.