Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"You have SEEN them? I guess you can't discuss politics without histrionics. Fair enough. "

Clearly the word o' the week is "histrionics"- I think you've used it in every post despite the fact that it isn't appropriate. Why not just discuss the topic without the labels?

"MOST BOTH AND Agreed, but the likelihood that the Libertarian Party will change this is nil. You are apparently relying on it to do something more than rabble rouse. Rabble rousing is the only way it has successfully gained funding and votes. I will give it credit for only one thing. It has raised awareness that there is a faction that believes individual rights trump collective rights. If it could do that by appealing to intellect rather than emotion, it wouldn't be just another demonizing fringe group. "

Well, I don't agree that the Libertarian Party appeals to emotion- certainly no more than the Republicrats do. They got me to join based purely upon their reasoned and CONSISTENT (something NEITHER major party can claim) stands on issues. Most of the Libertarians I know are like myself- not emotional at all- they tend to be engineers, businessmen, accountants, and the like- not exactly screaming radicals.

I think the major parties appeal more to emotion than intellect (which is probably why they are so successful, because most Americans, imho, can't or won't THINK)- pick ANY public forum where representatives of the major parties have appear - talk radio, TV, political debates, congress, etc and watch them for a while and tell me the major parties aren't dealing almost entirely with emotion.

Anyway, I know that the major parties are BAD for freedom loving Americans. While the Libertarian Party may never become a huge force in American Politics (or maybe it will), I believe it is better to fight for what is right and "lose" than go along with what is wrong and "win".

jb

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.