Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"You mentioned withholding on this transaction. If you want to do a complete rollover, you will need to make up the amount withheld from other funds. If you only roll over the NET proceeds (after the withholding), you will have taken a distribution from your Roth in the amount of the withholding. Don't forget to account for that withdrawl in your future distributions."

I understand this, and have no intention of taking a distribution. I could have easily sent a check to the IRS to make up for my underwithholding, but alas, they wouldn't count it as paid in a timely manner. Strange that if I use them one method to send them a sum of money there's no penalty, but another would cost me a couple of hundred in extra taxes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.