Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Your must realize with Florida, even though there is no income tax, their home insurance is outrageous as are property taxes. If you are unfortunate and buy something i.e the Villages, you will encounter a CDD which is a taxing authority on top of all local real estate taxes."

My parents were FL snowbirds. Had a place in Briny Breezes FL (worth about 40K when we sold it in 1999)......between the intercoastal and the Atlantic.....20 miles south of Ft Lauderdale....nice - for six months a year...then hot and humid for six months. My parents headed to NY state

Yes...taxes were fairly high and they needed flood insurance that was $1500 a year. They had an assessment on their property from Briny Breezes that included real estate taxes but was $2300 a year..but that got you heated swimming pool, rec hall, wood shop, clubs, etc, plus 300 feet of prime Atlantic beachfront to use, plus a 'clubhouse' on the ocean front.....

I decided to sell it...it would have cost me $4500 or more a year to keep it likely...and I wouldn't get more than a few months, if that, use out of it. No reason to 'escape' winters in Dallas...we get six weeks of winter...just don't know ahead of time which of the weeks will be winter weeks (ie, cold, drizzly)...maybe even an inch or two of snow).....

However, my parents retired from NJ/NY area...and my dad had nice pension and NY state was salivating over taxing it...but never could since he spent less than six months a year there....and that is the rule.....but they check up....trying to catch those who only leave for 3 months....to head south....

TX is fine..lots of nice areas..but if you want 'culture' you limit yourselves to where you want to be. You might not be happy in Boondoock, TX or AR if you want to go to the symphony or see Beyonce in concert or a major league football or softball game..or hockey game.....or have art movie theaters......or gourmet restaurants...

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.