Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Long time since I have been around and see that a few boards are closed. In recent years, I had been slowing up faster than age graded tables and fitness levels would predict. I had to have a wisdom tooth extracted last summer but the oral surgeon wouldn't do the procedure until I had my physical. My new PCP who is a runner herself breezed through what was looking like a great uneventful physical. She had already left and gone onto her next patient as I was getting dressed she came back in and said that she did not like something on my ECG and sent me for an Echocardiogram. The test results said I had aortic stenosis so severe that I rightfully should not be alive. Further tests revealed that I was born with a malformed heart valve that is also linked to aortic aneurysms. On 12/15/17 I had major open heart surgery to replace the valve with a bovine one (Instride Jr. now says I am full of bull) and graft in a Dacron replacement of my ascending aorta. Its hard to get the runner completely out of me so 10 weeks later in the middle of cardiac rehabilitation, I started get back in stride. 3 weeks later (3/25/18), I completed (rather than competed) my 38th straight Cohasset by the sea. The race is usually a 10K by this year it was a 5 mile due to a bridge being out. The race director joked that the course was shortened just so it would be easier for me to complete. Somehow I managed to negotiate the course in 42:09 for 174th place out of almost 1000 entrants. I did not place in the 60-69 age group but was given a special award afterwards of flowers by the race director. I guess it is better to receive the flowers than push them up.

Instride
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.