Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Racerboy:

I thank you and Jeff who are kind enough to respond to my post. I had spoke with Social Security Administration last week and they had explained to me that as the laws sit, I would have to be 66 and 10 months old to receive full benefits. Social Security states that the age of early retirement with a Social Security check is age 62 and they and our Government have no plans to change that law. My sights are set on a long, healthy retirement where at age 62, I can have a boost to my monthly pension checks from my 401 K and not touch my IRA money until I am forced to at age 70 1/2. While we all know that you can't get a tax break with both an IRA and a 401 K, the tax-deferred status of an IRA makes this irresistable to add that $2000 max. each and every year.

My questions mainly lie in the DRIP stocks. I mentioned 20 good quality stocks but what I'm shooting for is a fair amount in different companies to have a real kicker in those "Golden Years".

You know, I work with lots of very well-off older folks who are so honest and generous with their advice. Most have made some excellent returns on their investments and love to talk stocks, the Market and such , but when you figure that if you put just 1 or 2 grand in a good quality stock, let it ride those 20 years... calculate that! It's an awesome amount and would take me a few years to accumulate that 20 grand. Heck, I paid off a 30 thousand credit card debt over 1 year by working 6 12-hour shifts. Though I felt like you know what, I paid it off. I'm sure that I could accumulate 20 grand in about 2- 2 1/2 years. I'm just not sure about how many stocks I would need to buy for a consistent 13% average return, annually over 20 years.

Wannabechef

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.