No. of Recommendations: 4
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
salongilives, you are correct

The great Slave Plantations were started by the French and others long before the American Revolution, long before those states that depended upon Slavery were part of the US and were mainly brought here by other countries who traded in slaves.

The importation of slaves to the US was outlawed in 1808. Consideing the Bill of Rights was nor Ratified until 1791, that is not bad

Then the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863.

13th amendment ratified on December 6, 1865

Vermont abolished slavery outright in 1777

Pennsylvania, 1780
Massachusetts, 1783
New Hampshire, 1783 or 1789
Rhode Island, 1784
Connecticut, 1784 and 1797 )
New York, 1799 and 1817
Ohio, 1802
New Jersey, 1804
Indiana, 1816
Illinois, 1818

Little mention is ever made of the lifetimes of Indentured Servitude in Colonial America. These were almost all white

"At times, as many as 75% of the population of some colonies were under terms of indenture. Even on the frontier, according to the 1790 U.S. Census, 6% of the Kentucky population was indentured."

"The treatment of the servant was harsh and often brutal. In fact, the Virginia Colony prescribed "bodily punishment for not heeding the commands of the master." (Ballagh, 45) Half the servants died in the first two years. As a result of this type of treatment, runaways were frequent. "

http://www.geocities.com/nai_cilh/servitude.html

Bears
No. of Recommendations: 17
salongilives, you are correct

No she isn't.

And her post didn't cite a single lie about racism or slavery.

As for white, indentured servitude in colonial-era America, I learned about that in the fifth or sixth grade when I read "Johnny Tremain," by Esther Forbes. It's still a regular on the 5-8 grade public school curriculum.

No. of Recommendations: 1
The lie is that whitey is the cause of slavery. The lie is whitey started slavery.

No one tells those lies.

No. of Recommendations: 3
The importation of slaves to the US was outlawed in 1808. Consideing the Bill of Rights was nor Ratified until 1791, that is not bad

Then the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863.

13th amendment ratified on December 6, 1865

Vermont abolished slavery outright in 1777

Pennsylvania, 1780
Massachusetts, 1783
New Hampshire, 1783 or 1789
Rhode Island, 1784
Connecticut, 1784 and 1797 )
New York, 1799 and 1817
Ohio, 1802
New Jersey, 1804
Indiana, 1816
Illinois, 1818

yet it was only fairly recently that some states still had laws against inter-racial marriage, and of course, "separate but equal"

so yes, we did a good job getting rid of slavery.

but we did a horrible job of welcoming the former slaves into the society they helped build..

No. of Recommendations: 2
<<I ask the Leftists this. Why is it okay for people to work for free for the state (even if it is taking most of what they earn in taxes, in one form or another and against their will). When are you going to acknowledge, that just about every race has been enslaved throughout history and that the West got into it far later and out of it far sooner, than the rest of the world?>>

I have pointed this out many times, slives. The U.S. did not exist when slavery was begun in North America. And it only took about 75 years after the U.S. Constitution was adopted to finally eliminate it. So the U.S. has always been on the anti-slavery side, while the rest of the world, from the ancients on down, has been a sustainer and proliferator of the practice.

Slives, here is how we solve the leftist irrationality problem, while we stop illegal immigration and cut carbon emissions at the same time.

The next time they bring up a minimum wage bill, we attach a provision granting all domestic employees (cooks, maids, chauffeurs, gardeners, nannies, and the like) a minimum salary of, say, $250,000/year. And, to catch the avoiders, we tax anybody who hires such labor at any time during a year a like amount, per worker. Some liberals, such as Ted Kennedy and John Corzine, could still afford it and wouldn't wince. But the great majority of two income families who sustain their lifestyle by employing domestics at sub-living wage couldn't afford it and would have to adjust. One of the spouses would decide that his/her maximum value would be realized by staying home and doing dishes, clipping hedges, and changing diapers. This would lead to that person listening to Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis and learning the truth about the left, which would then be communicated to the working spouse via pillow talk.

I think the benefits of this policy would be profound.

/s/ S.T.

No. of Recommendations: 6
Salongilives: I ask the Leftists this... When are you going to acknowledge, that just about every race has been enslaved throughout history and that the West got into it far later and out of it far sooner, than the rest of the world?>>

Springtex: I have pointed this out many times, slives. The U.S. did not exist when slavery was begun in North America...

Brilliant. More trenchant analysis from the dynamic duo of incomprensible right-wing "thought." You two make a cute couple.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Heck the Ottoman empire didn't back get into it big time, until the Europeons left there in the late 18th century.

I don't understand this statement. Do you want to say that the Ottomans reinstated slavery big time after the Europeans left in the 18th century? And where did the Europeans leave from?

My head hurts.

Abe
I could think of a worse pair. You and me, for instance.

Are you flirting with me?

have pointed this out many times, slives. The U.S. did not exist when slavery was begun in North America.

True. Some of the Indians were practicing it with each other.

As for the rest....instead of being a big government tax the working stiff type.. why not simply enfore the laws as they are? Sort of makes the rest of your stuff there sound pretty silly

have pointed this out many times, slives. The U.S. did not exist when slavery was begun in North America. And it only took about 75 years after the U.S. Constitution was adopted to finally eliminate it. So the U.S. has always been on the anti-slavery side, while the rest of the world, from the ancients on down, has been a sustainer and proliferator of the practice.

Slives, here is how we solve the leftist irrationality problem, while we stop illegal immigration and cut carbon emissions at the same time.

The next time they bring up a minimum wage bill, we attach a provision granting all domestic employees (cooks, maids, chauffeurs, gardeners, nannies, and the like) a minimum salary of, say, $250,000/year. And, to catch the avoiders, we tax anybody who hires such labor at any time during a year a like amount, per worker. Some liberals, such as Ted Kennedy and John Corzine, could still afford it and wouldn't wince. But the great majority of two income families who sustain their lifestyle by employing domestics at sub-living wage couldn't afford it and would have to adjust. One of the spouses would decide that his/her maximum value would be realized by staying home and doing dishes, clipping hedges, and changing diapers. This would lead to that person listening to Rush Limbaugh on a daily basis and learning the truth about the left, which would then be communicated to the working spouse via pillow talk.

I think the benefits of this policy would be profound.

/s/ S.T.

I am living proof. After a few years (in our case decades), my husband wrote me the minimum wage salary paycheck and then some. Not a bad deal. I'll keep it.
<<As for the rest....instead of being a big government tax the working stiff type.. >>

I don't think you got the point.

/s/ S.T.
No. of Recommendations: 1
they willfully ignore those countries where it is practised today

So does the right except when it serves their domestic political debates.
Whites from eastern Europeon countries are enslaved to this day,

I would be curious to know where you learned this from. I have my suspecsions, and if I am correct it would certainly be ironic.
So does the right except when it serves their domestic political debates.

Nope.

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS AND WORKER EXPLOITATION TASK FORCE

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/crim/tpwetf.htm

The Criminal Section works closely with the FBI, the INS, and the 94 U.S. Attorneys Offices to ensure that allegations of trafficking and slavery are investigated and prosecuted. Section Attorneys conduct grand jury investigations and prosecute cases. Since the creation of the The Trafficking in Persons and Worker Exploitation Task Force, the number of open slavery investigations in the Section has tripled.
Whites from eastern Europeon countries are enslaved to this day,

I would be curious to know where you learned this from. I have my suspecsions, and if I am correct it would certainly be ironic.

Ironic? or closed eyes to "Human Trafficking"

http://hrw.org/doc/?t=women_trafficking

bears

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS AND WORKER EXPLOITATION TASK FORCE

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/crim/tpwetf.htm

The Criminal Section works closely with the FBI, the INS, and the 94 U.S. Attorneys Offices to ensure that allegations of trafficking and slavery are investigated and prosecuted. Section Attorneys conduct grand jury investigations and prosecute cases. Since the creation of the The Trafficking in Persons and Worker Exploitation Task Force, the number of open slavery investigations in the Section has tripled.

I didn't know that the DOJ was right-wing. I thought it was supposed to enforce the laws free of idealogy.
My eyes aren't closed to it at all, bears.

But it is ironic that you link to Human Rights Watch as evidence that liberals ignore modern slavery.
I ask the Leftists this: why is it okay for people to work for free for the state (even if it is taking most of what they earn in taxes, in one form or another and against their will)?

Leftists see nothing wrong with private citizens being enslaved by the State--their job is to see that everyone is enslaved equally.
I ask the Leftists this: why is it okay for people to work for free for the state (even if it is taking most of what they earn in taxes, in one form or another and against their will)?

Leftists see nothing wrong with private citizens being enslaved by the State--their job is to see that everyone is enslaved equally.

and what do the rightists see?

Dov