No. of Recommendations: 2
See introductory post http://boards.fool.com/29410931.aspx
and Guide to Screen Definitions http://boards.fool.com/26775200.aspx

RadiScreen is a set of Excel macros that generate "stock picks" or "rankings" for screens, using screen definitions and downloaded stock data. RadiScreen can be downloaded from
https://sites.google.com/site/TheGreatRadish/
Click on the RadiScreen link there, and use the download link (a downward pointing arrow at the far right of each line) for each file.

The latest versions of the RadiScreen series are:
IBDScreens.xls: June 24, 2002
RadInputData.xls: May 26, 2011
RadiScreen.xls: June 29, 2008
RadiStuff.xls: May 20, 2008
ScreenDefs.xls: May 20, 2008
SIProScreens.xls: November 1, 2004
TSIMPORT.EXE: June 29, 2008
TSIMPORT16.EXE: April 28, 2002

For most .xls files, the version date is shown on the Instructions worksheet. For .exe files, the version is displayed if you run the program in DOS using /? as a parameter (for example: TSIMPORT /?).

Source code is also available. For .xls files, the source code can be viewed by opening the Visual Basic Editor included in Excel. For .exe files, go to the above link, click on RadiScreen, then click on Source (shown after Subpages:).

Donations:

And now a reminder that donations are always welcomed. Donations are not tax-deductible, and can be made using the address phil32767 at yahoo dot com (replacing the " at " with @ and the " dot " with . of course) at https://www.paypal.com

Phil
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you have any advice regarding forward compatibility?

I've been running these spreadsheet macros in Excel 2003 without any trouble. MS support for Excel 2003 will be terminated next year, AFAIK. Not that it will stop running then, but they won't issue any more security updates for example, and there may be a future operating systems that will no longer support it.

I've also got Excel 2013 and I can run the macros there. They run in compatibility mode, which is very slow and locks up the program for long periods. I don't know how to cause them to run in native mode, and whether or not that will work.

Elan
elann,

Do you have any advice regarding forward compatibility?

I've been running these spreadsheet macros in Excel 2003 without any trouble.

I'm also using Excel 2003. So far I see no reason to try to find where they moved everything to in subsequent versions, nor do I see any new features of any usefulness (to me) whatsoever in the subsequent versions.

I've also got Excel 2013 and I can run the macros there. They run in compatibility mode, which is very slow and locks up the program for long periods. I don't know how to cause them to run in native mode, and whether or not that will work.

Unfortunately I don't have Excel 2013. Have you tried running them in native mode, and if so, what happens?

Phil
Unfortunately I don't have Excel 2013. Have you tried running them in native mode, and if so, what happens?

I haven't tried because I don't know how. Excel 2013 decides to run my spreadsheets in compatibility mode and I don't know how to change that. Simply changing the file name from *.xls to *.xlsx doesn't do the trick.

Elan

I had similar problems(freeze and slow) after upgrading from v2007 to v2013. MS office download site has a "compatibility" add-on that may help if you don't already have it. Actually not sure but the problem(freeze) may have been fixed after upgrading and fresh format(hard disc failure) from window 7 to 8.

All the macros seem to work fine in win 8 and MS office 2013.

Thank you radish

gdm
Phil, I also note that when I run radiinputdata in anything above windows XP, it gives me an error saying 'TSIMPORT.EXE must be in the same folder" (or something similar). Apparently the dos TSIMPORT cannot run in Win7 or 8 and radiscript cannot find it. Suggestions?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Phil, I also note that when I run radiinputdata in anything above windows XP, it gives me an error saying 'TSIMPORT.EXE must be in the same folder" (or something similar). Apparently the dos TSIMPORT cannot run in Win7 or 8 and radiscript cannot find it. Suggestions?

Radinputdata has two different macros for loading the text file, with two separate buttons. The first one has not worked for me for a long time. The second one, with its button at the bottom of the page, uses VBA for the input macro and it works.

Elan
I am getting "we can't post beause the copy area nd paste area aren't the same size. Try clicking one cel then past, or select a rectangle that's the same size, then paste."

Suggestions? Should I go from comma separation to another separation technique?
bhmargolis,

Phil, I also note that when I run radiinputdata in anything above windows XP, it gives me an error saying 'TSIMPORT.EXE must be in the same folder" (or something similar).

What version of RadInputData.xls are you using? (It should say Version: 2011/5/26 on the first line of the Instructions worksheet.)

Are you opening RadInputData.xls by starting Excel and then using Excel to open the file, or by double-clicking on the RadInputData.xls file's icon itself (and allowing it to start Excel)? I would recommend double-clicking on the RadInputData.xls file's icon. Note that whatever folder that file is in, the file TSIMPORT.EXE should be in that same folder.

Apparently the dos TSIMPORT cannot run in Win7 or 8 and radiscript cannot find it. Suggestions?

Microsoft at some point caused Windows to not be able to run 16-bit DOS programs. Originally, TSIMPORT.EXE was a 16-bit program, but the latest version is 32-bit... it should run fine on all newer version of Windows. (TSIMPORT16.EXE is also available for those who need the original 16-bit version.)

You should check to make sure that you have the 32-bit version of TSIMPORT.EXE and not the 16-bit version. This is a little tricky to check, depending on how comfortable you are with DOS, because you have to run TSIMPORT with /? as a parameter. If you're not very familiar with DOS, probably the easiest way to do this is:

1. Copy TSIMPORT.EXE to the root folder of the C drive, C:\
Be sure to copy the TSIMPORT.EXE file from the folder that RadInputData.xls is in, and not from any other copy of TSIMPORT.EXE you may have on your computer.

2. Open a DOS window (the method varies depending on what version of Windows you're running, typically you double-click on "Command Prompt" in the "Accessories" folder of "All Programs" from the Start icon).

3. In the DOS window, type C:\TSIMPORT /? and then press Enter. Make sure you type a space between the "C:\TSIMPORT" part and the "/?" part. The TSIMPORT program should display instructions, the first line of which should say: TSIMPORT Version 2008/6/29.

4. Type Exit to close the DOS window.

5. Erase the copy of TSIMPORT.EXE from C:\

Phil
elann,

Radinputdata has two different macros for loading the text file, with two separate buttons. The first one has not worked for me for a long time.

Probably you never updated TSIMPORT.EXE from the 16-bit version to the 32-bit version. Or you have more than one copy of TSIMPORT.EXE on your computer, and the one that RadInputData.xls is calling is the old 16-bit version.

See my previous post for instructions on how to tell what version TSIMPORT.EXE is.

Phil
bhmargolis,

I am getting "we can't post beause the copy area nd paste area aren't the same size. Try clicking one cel then past, or select a rectangle that's the same size, then paste."

In what spreadsheet, and using what input data? Please check the version numbers (see my previous post) first and make sure you're running the latest versions.

Phil
Ha! Works. Just needed latest versions (Jamie's website did not point to your "new" Google location).

Thanks much, Phil.
bhmargolis,

Ha! Works. Just needed latest versions

Glad that solved the problem.

(Jamie's website did not point to your "new" Google location).

Didn't know that. I'll ask Gritton and MarkW to update that. The link to the latest version is:
http://boards.fool.com/30863680.aspx

Thanks much, Phil.

You're welcome.

Phil