Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Radish,

Excellent post. Too bad no one is going to read it. :-)

I don't normally post on political boards, but ...

You wrote, At least... that's my take on it. Personally, I think the non-nut-case portions of libertarianism would be hugely popular in the US if someone would package them into a new party. And of course, that party would instantly become the #1 target of the Democrats, who would SaraPalin-ize it to death, and of the Republicans, who would be ineffective in doing anything about it (at least compared to the Democrats).

I don't think Republicans are as inept as you seem to think. In my experience they are excellent at co-opting the fiscally responsible, smaller government message from the Libertarian platform (as well as adopting a few things like anti gun control positions pushed by the NRA). That's certainly what they did back in the '90s. They don't actually live up to those promises - they're responsible for as much pork as the Dems - but they certainly do like to co-opt the Libertarian message.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.