Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Radish,

You wrote, The libertarians think that your next-door neighbor having nuclear weapons is fine, so long as he doesn't actually set one off.

Actually ... it's as long as he doesn't blow up or irradiate his neighbors. He could irradiate his neighbors through negligence - that's not reasonable or permissible behavior.

From a strict Libertarian perspective, he could actually blow a nuke up, say underground, as long has the only property he damages, destroys or irradiates is his own. Once he damages another's property or person, we have a problem.

From my perspective, I'm OK with an individual prohibition on nuclear armaments. I'm not OK with pretty much any other type of personal weapon ban, so perhaps I'm not a pure Libertarian. I'm also not OK with one country telling another it can't have nuclear armaments. As long as they don't go using them on someone else, what do I care? But then I'm also OK with a country having any type of weapon as long as they don't go using it on someone else.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.