Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've seen those quilts that have the rough edges. They are made from flannel (mostly) and they appear to be simply squares sewn together with no finished edges so that they fringe when washed.
Have any of you made one of these quilts? Any patterns or tips out there that I should know about? I doubt that the conventional 1/4" will work.

I appreciate any advice.

L
Print the post Back To Top
These quilts are so easy to make that you will whip one up for everyone you know! Flannel is best, but if you want to use a regular cotton you can cut blocks of batting 1" smaller all around and center it, sandwiched between the two outer fabrics (rights sides out.) There is an interesting variation that is similar to a Cathedral Window pattern in one of the new quilting magazines on the newsstand now (I think the Better Homes & Gardens one.)

Basically, you just cut blocks of flannel, place them wrong sides together, and stitch then together so that the raw edges are on one side. Then snip the edges every 1/4" or less and run it through the washer a few times to fray them. Do not use your home washer!!! Go to a laundromat instead, because it will lint like crazy and clog your machine. For a little interest, you can alternate blocks with four-patch blocks. You don't need a pattern--just figure out your design on graph paper and plot the yardage you need. Also, be sure to tear off the selvege edge, as it won't fray properly.

pix
No. of Recommendations: 1
I forgot--use 1/2" seams for this.

pix
Pix,

Thanks! It was very helpful for you to explain. I'm planning to make one this winter break.

L