No. of Recommendations: 1
Doing RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa ) next week ( just the paved road tour, no gravel road extra miles ).

I know it is going to be very hot, we plan on being on the road pedaling no later than 7am. We have a support vehicle, so do not have to carry tent and supplies on the bikes, which is an advantage.

Do quite a bit of riding, so not concerned about the mileage, although I have never pedaled into
a Great Plains headwind, I'm pretty sure that could be a real bear. We'll be riding east from the Nebraska border to the Missouri border, so hopefully the wind will be W-E. I've checked the amount of climbing on each days route, and I do more climbing on my rides in Michigan. But it is definitely not a flat ride by any means.

I've read that this is a fun, week long party, and that Iowa really welcomes the participants with open arms and great hospitality.

Has anybody on this board done RAGBRAI ? Would like to hear your thoughts on it all.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Enjoy! West to east, you should be good wind-wise.

May I ask where you ride in Michigan? (I'm in A2 about half the year. Have done Helluva Ride 100-miler maybe 8 times, riding it mostly solo.)
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Enjoy! West to east, you should be good wind-wise.

May I ask where you ride in Michigan? (I'm in A2 about half the year. Have done Helluva Ride 100-miler maybe 8 times, riding it mostly solo.) "

Thanks, as long as the heat doesn't make it unbearable, we should be good. It's a tour, not a race for me, so it should be good ! I haven't heard of the "Helluva Ride 100 Miler", where is that at ?

I'm in TC, like to road ride more in Leelanau County, though. I do like the trail riding in the TC area, but right now there is just way too much traffic on the roads. And from what I've read on FB from some people who live in the TC area, there is a some anger and animosity towards cyclists. (And some real idiots on FaceBook ).
Hopefully the good people of Iowa are OK with 10,000 cyclists hitting their roads over the next week. Everything I've read states that they are, so it should be a lot of fun.
Helluvaride is in Ann Arbor area (start/finish in Jeff Daniels's Chelsea, actualcly), early July.

Yeah, once one ventures out into MAGA country, cyclists are among the many targets of hate. I've been a roadie for more than 50 years, but I'm feeling more and more need to get off the pavement and onto trails. Got a cyclocross bike a few years ago. I like it.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Well, back safe and sound from RAGBRAI. I've figured out that this is not the board to post on
this type of travel adventure, so won't do it in the future, but thought I'd give give a brief recap of the trip, since I started the thread.

1) Iowa gets really hot and humid, lol. I'm a Northern boy, and the first night in Council Bluffs
on the Nebraska border was one of, if not the most, hottest and humid ones I've experienced.
And there was no shade available.

2) Iowa is much hillier than I thought. I ride in hills a lot, so I was prepared for them, but it was still surprising. Again, there was no shade while riding, so this made for some long,hot days.

3) no disrespect intended, but Iowa was seriously lacking in scenery. It truly seemed like a long, rolling cornfield from Nebraska to Missouri.

4) RAGBRAI and the state of Iowa do an incredible job of making a bicycle trip across their state safe. They actually blocked off vehicle traffic from the bike route, and I have honestly never felt safer on a bike. Any time we came near a major road, the Iowa State Patrol was out controlling the intersection. They truly did a fantastic job.

5) the people of Iowa that I interacted with are wonderful. And I understand that they are reaping a windfall from having 15,000 hot, hungry, and thirsty cyclists pass thru their town, so it behooves them to be nice to us. But it was more than that. We were welcomed with open arms in every town. Loved stopping for lunch in the basement of a local church, or an American Legion, treated very well and was happy that the money we spent with them was going to a good cause. Thoroughly impressed with the Iowans that I came across. And as part of a 15,000 cyclist mob, we had to be a total PIA to any of the citizens that were trying to go about their daily business. Good people living in Iowa.

6) I don't think I'll do RAGBRAI again, but am interested in doing tours across other states. Georgia has BRAG ( bike ride across Georgia ), Minnesota has BAM, I seen a T-shirt for RASDAK ( ride across South Dakota ). Would really like to do a ride across or down Oregon or California, but my cycling friends aren't retired yet, so this will have to wait.
4 friends of mine did it and enjoyed it
"Yeah, once one ventures out into MAGA country, cyclists are among the many targets of hate. I've been a roadie for more than 50 years, but I'm feeling more and more need to get off the pavement and onto trails. Got a cyclocross bike a few years ago. I like it. "

---------------------------------

I'm with you, I feel a lot safer on trails than on roads. Got some good off road dirt trail riding close to home, I can just pedal to the trail thru my quiet neighborhood, so have been doing much more of that than road biking. I might not road ride again locally until after Labor Day, as there is a crazy amount of traffic here, and a main E-W road is shut down. ( what is crazy traffic to me in TC might seem like a normal traffic day in AA, but it feels really congested to me, and people are driving with some anger ).