No. of Recommendations: 8
This is about WMT specifically. I know the topic of paltry wages has been hashed every which way from Sunday, but I heard a statistic on CNBC Sirius radio near the close of trading yesterday that stayed with me. I'll get to that in a moment. First, take a gander at this simple chart of 15 WMT job descriptions and their hourly wages. These #'s are a fresh update of just 3 days ago. Out of the 15, a mere 5 are > $10/hr. Dept. manager at a paltry $11.22? Customer service manager at a disgraceful $10.28? Here are the anemic stat's:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Walmart-Hourly-Pay-E715....

Several Dems. issued a supportive statement backing the WMT wage slaves who protested on Black Friday:

"Across the country, there are countless Walmart workers who are paid poverty wages, cannot get enough hours, and have erratic work schedules that make it difficult to survive," said Dem. US Senators Sherrod Brown (OH,) Ed Markey (MA), and Dem. Reps Jan Schakowsky (IL), Judy Chu (CA), William Lacy Clay (MO), Gwen Moore (WI), and Jim McDermott (WA), in a statement released to coincide with the Black Friday protests. "We stand with the courageous Walmart workers who are demanding better wages and an end to illegal retaliation," they said. "Walmart, the largest private employer in the U.S. has a responsibility to their employees and our country to respect workers and their rights. No one should have to fear losing their jobs just for speaking up." "The company can do better," said Rep. Schakowsky.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-grossman/doing-the-m...

Ms. Schakowsky, you're indeed the mistress of understatement! Your comment leads me into what I heard on CNBC Sirius yesterday.....

I barely missed the name of the guest, but the host described him as the conservative Republican CEO of a Silicon Valley company. After a sound debunking of a favorite GOP talking point that raising the minimum wage would result in more unemployment and damage the economy, he plowed into WMT specifically. What if WMT went to $12/hour? he mused. What would they have to do? His contention was that they would have to raise prices 1% once to fund the $12 wage floor.

And this written statement came from Wally on Black Friday, touting its advancement and promotion records: "Of course, we have entry-level jobs and we always will. The real issue isn't where you start. It's where you can go once you've started." My brother has been full-time there for 8 years and recently crept over $10/hr. He's still setting up end-of-aisle grocery displays and hasn't "gone anywhere."

Meanwhile, the 3 surviving Walton kids and the DIL who was married to the son who died in a plane crash in -05 have been getting between $300-330M in dividends for several years. Oops, I left out each.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.