Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm in the middle of doing my taxes (fortunately, I'm in a "Presidential Disaster Area" in WA, so I have until April 30th), and have a question regarding the spinoff of ENR from RAL that happened back in April 2000.
I had 150 (and still have) shares of RAL before the spinoff that was purchased at $4,125.62 before the spinoff. I then received only 49 shares of ENR (my brokerage said the rate was .33 shares of ENR for every share of RAL). I would've thought that I would get 50 shares (since everything I saw said, 1 for every 3). Anyways, at the same time when I got the 49, I got "cash-in-lieu" of $22.25. This is also on my 1099-B as cash in lieu for Energizer Holdings.

Since this is on my 1099-B, I think I need to report a sale. How do I calculate my basis on this?
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.