Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
Ralph:

A great summary of Agile! Thanks.

When I started hearing the word 'agile' applied to manufacturing I though it meant the English language 'agile.' Later I wondered if they were referring to the software 'Agile Manifesto' and I could not visualize it being used to make hardware. Eventually I saw a video that made things clear. The Agile manifesto does not apply to manufacturing itself but to the management style which is soft!

Dating back to WWII, Operations Research explored many management areas such as logistics and queues in the quest to optimize them. One study determined that optimal results would be obtained if you start by doing the easiest tasks first which could be done quickly and put into action. If you start with the hard one then all the easy ones get delayed even longer than the hard one because they are at the end of the long tail.

Waterfall is one big hard blob of a problem. Agile breaks it up into hundreds of easier to solve problems.

One of the problems ICE incumbents have is tradition! It's hard to break with tradition. There is a lovely story of the perfect baked ham. A woman explains how to make the perfect baked ham. One of the steps is to cut off part of the ham before baking it. One of the listeners asks, "Why do you cut off the end of the ham?" She replies, "That's the way my mother used to do it." The question lingers in her mind and the next time she visits with mother she asks the question. The mother replies, "Because I had a small oven and the whole ham didn't fit." Tradition!

Does Musk bake ham the old way?

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.