Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Feel bad for the kiddos, but nice to have the home office to myself again the last couple of weeks.
August was largely a bummer, but the recent trade war truce has given me new hope for a Sept/Oct run, and then we can re-assess the macro market then.

From Saul's board recently, Bear posted that he follows mkt cap more than P/S. I tend to follow both as they go hand-in-hand when I try to visualize the napkin math upside a stock price has, regardless of how well the company may be executing. For example, ZM killing it, but already $23b and 50+ P/S, so I am not interested as an investment right now.

Just a few days ago, here were some numbers, and these were already off their highs (except maybe AYX & CRWD)
---
"Company Market Cap
Smartsheet 5.3b
Elastic 5.8b
MongoDB 8.3b
Alteryx 9.5b
Twilio 17.8b
The Trade Desk 11.1b
Square 26.5b
Zscaler 9.1b
Anaplan 7.5b
Pinterest 18.3b
Crowdstrike 17.2b"

---

Quite a few are much lower now. Possible buying opptys, depending on how much you like the company and the upside in the stock/mkt cap from these levels.

CRWD down on impressive rev growth over 12%, getting mkt cap down in $15b range. Yahoo hasn't updated their P/S yet, but it should now be in the upper 40s, down from 50s.

ZM down 5% and flat since May. Still a lofty $23b mkt cap, but after stellar ER results, their P/S has dropped to low 50s from 60-70 range previously.

It seemed many stocks have broached 30 P/S that are discussed here, and it was becoming the "new 20" practically, and that has subsided some. ZS, WORK, OKTA, and AYX are all straddling 29/30. OKTA and WORK both about 14-15b mkt cap, and AYX about $9b and ZS about $8b after PANW ER FUD attack. While AYX is near ATH and first approaching 30 for first time more or less, the other 3 had all been well over 30 in previous month or two.

With superior hyper-growth, it only takes a couple Q's for these stocks to reduce their P/S and it seems market, especially in a lumpy August, have recalibrated the multiples a bit. MDB was around 30 at peak and now "down" to 23 after their recent ER, as an example.

I wouldn't call any of them bargains, but with a (yet again) temporary trade truce and an expected-to-be accomodative Fed later this month, I think the overall markets will be positive. Could the hyper-growth sector get singularly punished? Possibly, but I think market will discriminate, and the companies I like most have had great ERs: TTD, ESTC, MDB, BZUN, and I expect ZS will do likewise next week.

My timing often sucks though, and my crystal ball was an open-box item from Kmart in '99.

Dreamer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.