Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 32
Random notes---

I came to a conclusion that a lot of the standard screens no longer work, or no longer work very well.
I guess a lot of people have come to the same conclusion.

But I have long had the habit of developing screens myself.
The thing is, some of those have held up wonderfully. Especially those relying heavily on sales growth rates, for example.

The sad part from a community point of view is that I stopped posting most of them.
The dark speculation is that there is a correlation between posting a screen and its holding up,
but it's hard to believe our posts have any material effect on the markets.
I doubt we're that important to the world.

There's an old saying, though. Never mistake the cycle for the trend.
Maybe in this infinite-liquidity-fuelled bull (I consider the 2020 Covid dip to have been merely a blip in it),
we have to wait for the fat bear lady to sing before drawing any conclusions about what works longer term.
Markets have been weird in the last 5-7 years in a lot of ways. That might be a new normal, or it might be merely a temporary excursion into the twilight zone.
I can't help but think that things like earnings and earnings growth might actually matter again some day.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.