Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 25
My kids are growing up.

Q is like a typical well-adjusted teenage boy - miniature adult one moment, food vacuum the next, and annoying older brother in between and besides. Every adult he interacts with thinks he's just the bees knees, including his girlfriend's parents, who come to his games at the high school and even plan a road trip to one of his tournaments this summer. He helps out at his little brothers' games when he doesn't have his own. He's terrible with money - burns a hole in his pocket as soon as he gets it - but is always willing to work hard to get more of it. He's what the olds like me call "a good kid" with a circle of friends we would describe the same way - good students, volunteers, after school activities and jobs. A recent outing with some teammates was for bowling and ice cream, everyone home by 10:30 on a Friday night. He has another minor growth spurt left so will be slightly taller than me and his father, but not by much.

Her Bootiness is just something else! Beautiful, witty, and oh lord the drama and the mood swings. Her braces have made her smile wider, her glasses are always absolutely filthy despite all of the adults in her life begging her to clean them for eff's sake, and she continually surprises me with the depth of her interests, and the details that snag her attention. Also, she loves deer chili - so much so that if we make a pot, we make extra so that she can have a bowl of it after school every day as her snack that week. Her and her friends walk to the park together all the time, she frequently facetimes her cousing (Little Sis's girl) and she's very close to done growing according to her doctor, so will end up a little shorter than me, and is healthy (but a little lazy). She has her own sense of style, still likes to hang out with us and play Legos with her little brothers, and acts like she's actively dying if we make her mow the yard.

Leroy Jethro is tall and skinny for his age. He loves his older siblings, and they alternately love and are annoyed by him. He's decent at any sport he tries, and he started baseball this spring and absolutely LOVES it. He reads well, but usually under duress because MOVING AROUND IS MORE FUN. He notices absolutely freaking EVERYTHING so you better mind your Ps and Qs around him. He loves a good big mixed lettuce salad, any kind of grilled meat, taco salads, and yogurt. He still loves to snuggle, still does the little-kid-break-down-when-tired, and is a really good friend - he recently had a friend he's known since preschool spend the night, and this poor little guy has been having anxiety issues (so bad he's missing some group birthday parties because of it) and when it was time to go to sleep he asked to check all the locks - something his mother had warned me about in advance. LJ held his hand and they walked around checking the locks, on their own.

The reason I'm posting about this today is because the kids' schedules are set for next year, and both big kids' schedules held surprises for me. I worried I wasn't involved enough (letting them choose their own without my input), but I refer back to something I read when I am trying to balance hovering versus giving them "enough" freedom.

It started with this, which I read when it was published: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/29/living/feat-facebook-year-in-r...

And of course I did an Internet Dive, ultimately running across this: https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2014/05/01/heroic-measure...

This in particular: There are so few things we can do for her now, so very few things, but we can do this: we can give her her life, as whole and unbroken as we can manage, and an unspoken promise to fiercely guard it from even ourselves. We can give her this. Our last gift.

It's their lives to live.

impolite
rambly today
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Deer chili recipe please!
CJ
No. of Recommendations: 11
acts like she's actively dying if we make her mow the yard.

Owlboy and FirstLock are now mowing the yard.

When Owlboy comes back in afterwards he acts as if he was just on the Bataan Death March. It is all he can do to make it to the couch, plop down and pull the fan over until it is six inches from his face. After a few minutes to martial some small measure of his remaining energy he may manage to ask in a wavering voice, "Can I have some lemonade, please?"

Neither one can mow in straight line or apparently see the large tufts of grass they have missed. I have a lawn that looks like it has a bad case of bed-head.

My kids are growing up.

Mine too. FirstLock is going to the eighth grade dance. They are supposed to dress up so we bought him a sports jacket. He really like the blue jacket with dark black lapels. With his curly hair he will definitely be rocking the sixties lounge singer look.

FirstLock got into minor trouble at school yesterday. When the counselor asked him why he said, "If I get my Mom riled up enough, she may not make me go to High School next year."

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 10
And my 35 year old son (!!!!!! How the hell did THAT happen?) has made me a grandma again....a little boy, 3 weeks early but doing fine. Baby boy joins Older Sister, who is almost 3.

If I had known grandchildren were this much fun, I would have had them first.

Isewquilts
Yay a baby!
No. of Recommendations: 9
At this very moment, we preparing for our son's Eagle Scout Court of Honor later today (I swear it's like planning a wedding!), and his high school graduation in a few weeks. Given that, your point really hits home: "It's their lives to live."

We too have watched our oldest son mature, and become this person with so much talent and so many positive qualities. Sometimes we ask ourselves, "when did this happen?" And despite the path I once thought was right for him, I have realized that his true path is the one he'll forge for himself.

Thanks for a thoughtful and sincere post - your kids sound like they are each on their way to bigger and better things, and all we both can do as parents is sit back and enjoy the ride.
No. of Recommendations: 1
DSS (30! I agree with isewquilts2 -- how did that happen!!) had first grandbaby 6 weeks ago and we are over the moon!

Teen and tween are just as over the top over her so we will have one spoiled grandbaby/niece I think.
No. of Recommendations: 3
No real recipe, but in general:

2 or 3 pounds of ground Bambi (2 if just us and the younger kids, 3 if the teen will be eating with us)
1 white onion
chopped garlic to taste
Can of chili beans*
1 can of Rotel
1 can of tomato sauce
Chili seasoning (packet, homemade, whatever)
water if needed to loosen it up

Brown meat with the onion and garlic. Throw in the rest. Simmer. Eat when you can't stand to wait for it to simmer any longer.

We eat it with fritos** and cheese, but I've also put leftovers over baked potatoes and it's super yummy.

Deer tacos (same basic recipe) are also a huge hit at my house. The meat is a milder flavor than beef, an a lot less greasy.

impolite

* my grandmother is rolling in her grave. Beans! In chili! I'd be considered an official Yankee now.

** and I know I shouldn't because it gives me heartburn, but Fritos, mustard, and chili for a frito pie is my kryptonite
* my grandmother is rolling in her grave. Beans! In chili! I'd be considered an official Yankee now.

Canned beans???

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 3
Canned beans???

Exactly.

I'd have killed her thirty times over by now, if she hadn't passed on her own.

Between canned beans, beans in chili, Xmas cards without personalized notes....poor lady would have "Bless your heart"ed at me enough time to cause her own heart failure.

impolite
failed Southern Bell
Thanks for the recipe! I've saved it for the next time I get a deer (last successful hunt in VT was 2011).

CJ <--- official Yankee
** and I know I shouldn't because it gives me heartburn, but Fritos, mustard, and chili for a frito pie is my kryptonite

Is frito pie what I think it is? You open a small bag of fritos, dump chili right into the bag. Top with cheese. Stir and eat right out of the bag.

Wally

Is frito pie what I think it is? You open a small bag of fritos, dump chili right into the bag. Top with cheese. Stir and eat right out of the bag.

Wally

Mom used to make it sometimes. She would cook the ground beef in her largest skillet, add seasonings and tomato sauce or paste (I don't know which), and cook until the beef was done. Then she would add the Fritos and cheese. Mom would eat half a bowl, I would eat 1 bowl, and my dad would eat 1 1/2 bowls. That added up to maybe a quarter of the skillet. My 2 brothers would then eat the rest of it. All of it. No leftovers.

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wally asks: Stir and eat right out of the bag

It's pretty temperature hot to be eating out of the bag. It would be real difficult to hold.

🤨
ralph
It's pretty temperature hot to be eating out of the bag. It would be real difficult to hold.

I'm willing to suffer for my art.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wally's bag method is exactly how I first had frito pie -- many, many years ago at the Knoxville World Fair. Don't remember it being too hot to hold, do remember it tasting very yummy :)

Yes, exactly,

This was my lunch pretty much every day during 8th and 9th grade. Add a plastic fork, napkin, and a Dr Pepper and I was set.

Chili
Chili says: This was my lunch pretty much every day during 8th and 9th grade. Add a plastic fork, napkin, and a Dr Pepper and I was set.

Mine was Fritos, bean dip (Frito lay) and Coke!

😃
ralph