Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I have this quote hanging up in my cube here at Fool HQ. It reminds me constnatly that valuation matters...

Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems
from Businessweek, April 2002, when Sun was $5.68 per share

"But two years ago we were selling at 10 times revenues when we were at $64. At 10 times revenues, to give you a 10 year payback, I have to pay you 100% of revenues for 10 straight years as dividends. That assumes I can get that by my shareholders. That assumes I have zero cost of goods sold, which is really hard with 39,000 employees. That assumes I pay no taxes, which is very hard. And that assumes you pay no taxes on your dividends, which is kind of illegal. And that assumes with zero R&D for the next 10 years, I can maintain the current revenue run rate. Now, having done that, would any of you like to buy my stock at $64? You don't need any transparency. You don't need any footnotes. What were you thinking?"

That's just awesome. I'll probably bring this up again when Groupon and Facebook come public.

Bryan
TMF42
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.