Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Random thoughts....

--------------------------

Watched the telethon the other night. Overall, a pretty good night. Very somber, much more like a memorial service than I expected. I thought there would be at least a little bit of up tempo patriotism.

Rather than that awkward final ensemble, I would have loved to have seen Springsteen come back on stage and belt out "Born in the U.S.A." to add a final punch of emotion to the night.

If there is really a media conspiracy, could they please start with agreeing on the spelling/pronounciation for some of the following?

al-Qaida, al-Qaeda, al-Qu'eda, Al Qaida, Al Qaeda, Al Qu'eda, ...
Taliban, Taleban
bin Laden, Bin Laden (pronounced bin Lah-den and bin Lay-den)
Kabul (pronounced ka-BOOL and KAHB-ull)

I realize it is difficult to translate, but could we pick one and run with it? (On a side note, it seems to be a good indication of how little we understand our opponent when we are having a hard time with the basic vocabulary.)

Capitalism and American culture may be a factor in starting this mess, but it also seems to be a factor in finding us some allies.

The United Arab Emirates, one of the three governments to officially recognize the Taliban, cut off diplomatic ties to them yesterday.

No small coincidence that Sheikh Muhammad bin Rashid al Maktoum, the Crown Prince of Dubai and the Minister of Defense for the UAE also happens to be a prominent race horse owner and breeder in the US. He pledged $5 million to a relief fund, and shortly thereafter, the UAE cut off ties to the Taliban.

Most of the press coverage has been OK, at the least, but could someone please get a replacement for Judy Woodruff? It's painful watching her attempt to conduct an interview.

Just when I thought we here in Bumcuffia were the only rubes around, the rest of the country manages to join in:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TRAVEL/NEWS/09/21/passenger.removed/index.html
In at least five incidents this week, men of Arab descent were removed from domestic flights because members of the flight crew considered them threats to security, according to airlines, crew members or the affected passengers.

One of these incidents was a Minneapolis-Salt Lake City flight, but there were other incidents in San Antonio, Washington, Atlanta, and Chicago.

Paranoia is running deep right now, and I suspect it is going to get worse before it gets better. Be concerned for your Arab friends, folks. Patriotism aside, there's no shortage of morons in this country.

--Pup
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.