Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
First of all, I want to say I am honored to be in a specific stock discussion group where people aren't freaking out because the stock got hammered [corrected] in one day. I live and breathe [right] small-cap growth stocks. I'm used to this, and in fact I was in a better mood on Tuesday than I was on Monday. I've survived much worse (COCO dropped 55% in two weeks back in 2001), and have been rewarded every time for doing nothing or adding to my position.

Tom (illini1990) - Personal sidenote, CHS has caused me to smile a lot more these days. You too?

What CNS needs is branding. That's what it's called, right? When the product name is used; e.g. bandaids, coke machine, roller blades, etc.

Duff23 - I hope you win first place every race, and remember to keep that strip on your nose while you're being photographed for the paper -- we need free advertising! Keep us updated.

Maybe, for one or two football seasons, CNS can sponsor a major college bowl game and call it "The Breathe Right Bowl." They can pass out strips to all who attend and get them to pose for a group picture.

mks222 - Before you make a decision, ask yourself, "Why did I originally buy stock in this business?" My guess is you understood their products and the business is within your circle of competence.

MFCatbert - I also worry about their use of the $40 million in cash for a "strategic acquisition". Would you rather they get a loan? I've seen small companies make excellent well-thoughout acquisitions in the past that have benefitted them greatly; e.g. Chico's acquiring White House|Black Market for $90M cash. I specifically search for companies with cash positions for this reason alone.

Does anyone here use saline nasal spray? I have tried the Breathe Right brand, and it works well, but for cost savings I buy generic which works just as well. I also make my own saline nasal spray (warm water and a pinch of non-iodized salt). A few squirts of saline nasal spray before I hit the shower, and I'm breathing fine for the rest of the day.

Since this is a somewhat boring unknown stock, perhaps we're near a bottoming out. This is not a glamor stock, and is more reasonably valued. I see upside potential.

Costume idea: Next halloween, buy a box of FLAIR Equine nasal strips and dress up as a racehorse with congestion.

Breathe Right,
Offramp
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was disappointed with the announcement yesterday, but was not surprised with it, after ABC did a story on the news within the last week or so about "what happened to the flu scare", noting that after the big peak, it just dropped off the scale almost immediately. Therefore, I view the bad news as market related and not company related, for the most part. As usual, Mr. Market's reaction was, IMHO, a typical over-reaction. Plus, you had the double whammy yesterday--the company announcement and also the fact that Mr. Market was punishing all Nasdaq stocks yesterday, including most of our HGs. Therefore, after assessing the situation, I decided yesterday presented another buying opportunity. I added to my position mid-afternoon, and thought about it again at the end of the trading day when it had dropped a little more, but held off. I think the company will be fine, and if we get any good news on the economy, Mr. Market will be fine (unfortunately, however, I'm more optimistic about the company than the market right now).

raleigh1208
Hi Offramp,

I agree with your sentiments ... this is fast becoming my favorite board.
I guess it's one the easiest stocks to discuss, which makes for excellent
discussion and observations.

Again, I agree the sell-off was overdone yesterday, and put my money
where my typing is. I think there is a decent enough margin of safety
with this stock, BUT, I will be watching their movements and strategies
closely over the next year, because they MUST start to leverage their
brand more.

I don't expect them to drop major, major $$ on an advertising campaign,
but I think several posters have had excellent ideas about giveaways
and sports promotions. If I'm not hearing/seeing some movement to
push the brand, and sales growth is still slow, I'm not sure how much
longer I'll hold on if I feel management is not up to the task.

Again, I'm okay with a relatively cautious approach, but at some point,
you've got to be more assertive and pick your spots to take risks.

Regards,

Tom

Offramp:

Why non-iodized salt? I do the same but use iodized salt. Am I missing something here?

ToroBravo2003
I agree with the product branding idea. If CNS Inc. did something with their marketing to make Breathe Right a household name. (Even if they don't have a product that will capture 50% of the population.) I think they could capture a larger percentage of the population as customers. I also believe as others have said that once you use this type of pruduct you don't go back. These things really work!!! I'm not an endurance athlete but I exercise for my own health and found after trying these strips last year I was able to extend the distance I can run in one session by two to three miles just because I can breathe more easily. Who know maybe 50% of the population is possible. I'm going to write the company as a stock holder and suggest this. (Just in case someone over there has not thought of it yet) I encourage others in this group to do the same.

miznike

MFCatbert - I also worry about their use of the $40 million in cash for a "strategic acquisition". Would you rather they get a loan? I've seen small companies make excellent well-thoughout acquisitions in the past that have benefitted them greatly; e.g. Chico's acquiring White House|Black Market for $90M cash. I specifically search for companies with cash positions for this reason alone.

I have also seen small companies make excellent well-thought out acquisitions. But do you think that CNS marketing program/strategy is well thought out, communicated thouroughly, and is being executed properly. I don't, it seems to change every year. If they do announce an acquisition, I will probably hit the exit. I have seen many acquisitions take the acquirer down rather than up. JMHO.

Best regards,
Robert
No. of Recommendations: 1
Why non-iodized salt? I do the same but use iodized salt. Am I missing something here?

ToroBravo2003 - The instructions that came with my naso cup specified non-iodized salt. I was given this as a gift (the best gift I've ever received!), and the device is similar to the one shown here:
http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Yoga/Neti/NetiPots/NasoJalnetiRinseCup.htm
Hey, CNXS didn't do too bad today. It was actually up 0.27% on a day that the S&P ishares for small caps (symbol IJR) was down 2.16%.
I still like the company, and might buy more if the price drops lower in the next month or so.
'just LOVE the picture of the model elegantly sniffing saline solution!