No. of Recommendations: 16
The 7 Best stocks to buy today, and just recently filled tax returns, and looking at my portfolio here are some thoughts...

The market presented excellent opportunity, of course 'on hindsight' at the end of the year 2018, but looking back I realized I was prepared for that, meaning sitting with tons and tons of cash and I hardly deployed any of them, low single digit percentage.

Some of it because I wanted to stick to allocation discipline (CTT, BRX) both names I feel, I understand relatively better than many of my holdings, yet I added marginally, on hindsight, I think I should have doubled my position or increased by 50% at least across the board, and still my overall risk I would be adding to my total portfolio would few % points and the chances of both going to zero is very less and they could have continued to pay dividend, in other words these are not B&C-Mall operators. The same goes for (MA, V, GOOGL, HD, LOW, SBUX ...) all my long-term holdings and some of the new names like FDX, DIS, I was timid.

On hindsight seeing MA move from $180 to $240, may make one feel guilty but ...

I think, often investors not acting decisively when the market presents an opportunity and toil in finding opportunities at the rest of the time. Whether it is CTT, BRX or ZAYO (all the names I talked about here) have posted some pretty significant gains, like CTT from below $7 to $9.8, or BRX from $14.5 to $18, ZAYO from $22 to $32,... After a nice decline, the froth or risk is actually reduced and the chances of success is higher. But it is darkest before dawn.

Why am I writing this? Because looking today for names to invest after a pretty strong rally from the beginning of the year is counter productive. Do all your research now, and when the opportunity presents be ready to pull the trigger. You don't even have to invest or add serious sums of money, but place some bets on your conviction.

Separately, if the fundamental story of the industry and business is good and growing don't let valuation shake you out, on the other hand if the fundamentals of the industry and growth are declining, don't let valuation to suck you in.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.