Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Dear Employer

Do you want to know how to p*ss me off? Three months after I started working for you - four months after I signed 2 different versions of your contract* and offer letter - now you come to me and tell me that there was a mistake with my compensation package? That you weren’t meant to be paying me a car allowance? Really??? We’re nearly 4 pay packets in and you’ve only just realised? You had to ask me what was in my contract/offer letter?? What about the forms you had to fill out in order to hire me in the first place? Surely you have a copy of those?

When I filed my first expense claim last month, my boss queried the rate I used for my mileage claim because I’d used the car allowance rate. Now his boss - the “hiring manager” - has come back to him saying that HR must have made a mistake because I wasn’t meant to have a car allowance. The thing is: both versions of the contract I signed AND the offer letter clearly state that I have the choice of a company car or a car allowance**.

The last three months have been fun. I’ve enjoyed virtually all of it. I told you at my interview that I wanted a permanent job and, although this is a one year fixed term contract***, it doesn’t usually feel like I’m on borrowed time. When I notice anything, it feels as if you’re testing me out to try to find a fit for me somewhere in the company.

If I am being pessimistic instead of optimistic, I would say that I had a job until September because I can’t see what you’ll do with me once SAP goes live in July. I do not know what you have planned. I keep thinking that, if I get lucky, the SAP team will co-opt me and take me along for the next roll-out, in the next division they do.

Just don’t p*ss me off, please.

- Pam

* I have no recollection why/what the difference was that meant I had to sign the second version.

** As if I’d give up driving Lucky. He’s only nine and has less than 130,000 miles on the clock. He’s virtually a new car.

*** Contractually, I’m an employee with all the legal rights, privileges and obligations of an employee. That includes holiday pay, sick leave and employer pension contributions.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.