Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Rate less than general rate.
Sales taxes on food, clothing, medical supplies, and motor vehicles are deductible as a general sales tax even if the tax rate was less than
the general sales tax rate.

I'm not sure what the "general sales tax rate" is - is that the state + county + city? Because if it is, then I think Turbo Tax is correct and even though I actually paid less, since two of the large ticket items were for "motor vehicles" then I believe I get to deduct more than I actually paid.

I can't find any way to reach that conclusion. The quoted text says "sales tax is deductible...." You know how much sales tax you paid. How in the world could more than you paid be deductible?

If on the other hand, the "general sales tax rate" is actually just my "city sales tax" and does not include the state nor does it include the county tax rate, then I need to override Turbo Tax and deduct the amount I actually paid.

This reasoning is irrelevant.

So, I'm sorry if I'm not bright enough to figure this out on my own or perhaps I should just be sorry for not writing my post clear enough so people would understand why I wasn't sure if Turbo Tax was correct or not. Either way, I am still unsure as to the answer that is so obvious to you. No matter, I can figure it out on my own. Sorry for the bother.

No bother. Judging by your many contributions to the Fool, I know you're bright enough. Did you read the Schedule A instructions?

2. The Optional State Sales Tax Tables,
which are available in Pub. 600. If you use
the Optional State Sales Tax Tables, you
can add to the table amount any state and
local general sales taxes YOU PAID [emphasis added] on motor
vehicles, boats, and any other items speci-
fied in Pub. 600. The deductible amount of
tax on motor vehicles cannot exceed the tax
that would have been imposed at the gen-
eral sales tax rate. For boats, the tax is
deductible only if it was imposed at the
general sales tax rate. See Pub. 600 for
details.

I don't see how it could be clearer.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.