Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have recently read that it is under consideration (proposed) that the people currently reaching 70 1/2 will not be required to make a withdrawal due to the reduced value of the stock market. What about the people who have been retired 10 years or more? Would we have to take the customary withdrawal? Seems to favor just one age group, those who are now 70, while those 75 or 80 would still have to withdraw at the same rate as before this great market reduction. All the news saying "hold on and wait" seems to concentrate on the upcoming generations who have the 5 or 10 years to wait for a recovery and takes nothing into consideration(or advice for) the people who are already retired and depending on their savings to help them to the end.

We do not have everything in the market, but what we do have is down the usual 40% . Since we do not need it to live on at this time, I cannot see selling now and converting to cash, as we would take such a hugh loss. We will need it sometime in the futire, (unless ofcourse we have a heart attack during the daily drop in the market and die tomorrow). I wish I could decide what to do, and I would hope that the market begins to show some recovery soon. I have always had a more than average tolerance for risk but it has now been reached. If we sell stock now we would be locked in at a great loss. This problem may not be relevant to this discussion board, but I felt the need to vent. What are you other people doing???
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.