Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
rather than move back into the house for two years, why not do a tax-free exchange into a house you would "like to live in someday" and then rent it out for a while (18 months or so) before moving into this house.

That way you get rid of the house (which is what you want to do) AND DON'T HAVE TO MOVE BACK IN (WHICH IS PROBABLY WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO DO).

Other alternatives available depending on what your lifestyle wants to do.

Do a tax-free exchange into bare land (investment) if you don't want to do the rental property scene anymore.
all taxes are deferred into the rental property.

Then, after a few years, build your dream home or 2nd home at the beach or mountains.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.