No. of Recommendations: 0
Rather than paying penalties, you may want to consider an SEPP distribution from your 401K plan. This would minimize income taxes and penalties by taking out only a fraction of the balance each year. I would guess you would be able to repurchase those stocks for commissions less than than the 10% penalty and 40% income taxes (depending on your tax rate).

Talk to your plan administrator about rolling over the 401K plan. Some plans will make the transfer without causing you to sell the assets (especially if you have a mutual fund company as the plan administrator). But it depends. If you change adminstrators, you probably will have to make the transfer in cash. But this is not a problem if you buy no load mutual funds.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.