Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 16
The Independent Payment Advisory Board perfectly illustrates liberalism’s itch to remove choices from individuals, and from their elected representatives, and to repose the power to choose in supposed experts liberated from democratic accountability. Beginning in 2014, IPAB would consist of 15 unelected technocrats whose recommendations for reducing Medicare costs must be enacted by Congress by Aug. 15 of each year. If Congress does not enact them, or other measures achieving the same level of cost containment, IPAB’s proposals automatically are transformed from recommendations into law. Without being approved by Congress. Without being signed by the president.

These facts refute Obama’s Denver assurance that IPAB “can’t make decisions about what treatments are given.” It can and will by controlling payments to doctors and hospitals. Hence the emptiness of Obamacare’s language that IPAB’s proposals “shall not include any recommendation to ration health care.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-romneys...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
When was this magic time that all people had unlimited access to healthcare that you want to return to?

As I recall healthcare has always been rationed. Rationed by who had the money to pay for it. If you have money you will always be able to pay for it.

Even if a single payer is established in USA, do you really think that all unnecessary procedures will be barred from those who want to pay?
No. of Recommendations: 5
When was this magic time that all people had unlimited access to healthcare that you want to return to?

As I recall healthcare has always been rationed. Rationed by who had the money to pay for it. If you have money you will always be able to pay for it.
---------------------------------------------------
Since we're talking healthcare i thought i'd post this link that MadCap posted somewhere else:

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/10/31-of-americans-without-hea...

31% of Americans without health insurance live in households making $50k or more, and 38% are between 18-34 years old

As for those uninsured Americans who are supposedly the reason for all this sound and fury [Obamacare], there is remarkably little interest in why they are uninsured, despite the incessant repetition of the fact that they are. The endless repetition serves a political purpose but digging into the underlying facts might undermine that purpose. Many find it sufficient to say that the uninsured cannot “afford” medical insurance. But what you can afford depends not only on how much money you have but also on what your priorities are.

Many people who are uninsured have incomes from which medical insurance premiums could readily be paid without any undue strain (see chart above). Many young people, especially, don’t buy medical insurance and elderly people already have Medicare. The poor have Medicaid available, even though many do not bother to sign up for it, until they are already in the hospital– which they can do then.

Throwing numbers around about how many people are uninsured may create the impression that the uninsured cannot get medical treatment, when it fact they can get medical treatment at any hospital emergency room.
-------------------------------------------------------------
When you take out the young people who choose voluntarily not to buy insurance, the people making over $50,000 who choose not to buy it, the people who qualify for medicaid but don't sign up because, i dunno, it's hard or something, and then the people who are here illegally, i wonder if it was really necessary to take 2 years out to try to rahm this mostly unread trojan horse bill down our throats. I would say it wasn't, and on top of that it will make things worse. CBO already says it's going to cost 1 trillion over the next 10 years. 1 trillion we don't have, and to make things worse on top of it.

Obama is the worst president in the history of the United States.

No. of Recommendations: 1
31% of Americans without health insurance live in households making $50k or more, and 38% are between 18-34 years old

You realize that they are not the same thirty some percent.

Who cares how much you make, if you have a pre-existing condition, you can't get health insurance.

Who cares how young you are, if you are only making 20k a year, you can't afford health insurance.

Throwing numbers around about how many people are uninsured may create the impression that the uninsured cannot get medical treatment, when it fact they can get medical treatment at any hospital emergency room.

ERs don't administer post-operative PT.
ERs don't provide kidney dialysis unless you are near death.
ER doctors won't answer the phone when Medco calls them asking for justification for the drug you prescribed. (I ran into this one, I had to have an sick visit with my primary because Medco would not pre-authorize the medicine the ER doctor prescribed.)

Do ERs provide vaccinations? maybe.

Finally for a group that has as its underlying premise is to route out waste, why for the love of FSM do you encourage people to go to the ER instead of a doctor?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Who cares how much you make, if you have a pre-existing condition, you can't get health insurance.
---------------------------------------------------------
We didn't need to pretty much socialize healthcare to cover people that had pre-existing conditions and couldn't afford coverage.
Who cares how young you are, if you are only making 20k a year, you can't afford health insurance.
It matters because there are young kids out there that do not want to bother paying for insurance, if you read the link you can get high deductible policies for less than $100 a month if you're young. I'm 46 and i have a high deductible policy for $250 a month. When i had a business i remember when we told our employees we were going to cover health insurance, their reaction was the same as my older sisters reaction when she got luggage for Christmas. They didn't want it and asked if we could just give them money instead.
Even if a single payer is established in USA, do you really think that all unnecessary procedures will be barred from those who want to pay?

If they do it by expanding Medicare...

Well, as I understand it, if a person covered by Medicare desires care, and Medicare says "we pay for that sort of treatment in some cases, but you don't qualify according to our rules"... then any doctor who provides the treatment and receives payment for it is completely disqualified from Medicare.

So, that would be yes, I do think a very large share of "unnecessary" (as determined by a panel of government bureaucrats) procedures would in effect be barred from those who want to pay.

What's the economic value of cataract surgery in an 76-year-old retiree? The statistics say a person of that age hasn't long to live. Probably not worth it, particularly if the government's money is tight (and Medicare and Social Security are bankrupt now in real terms). Well, DW's mother is 76 and had cataract surgery earlier this year... *her* mother just moved into a nursing home last week. Even if the government were to decide that cataract surgery is unnecessary or not worth the cost, that doesn't mean it really is is unnecessary or not worth the cost.

How can everyone be entitled to healthcare and some be allowed to pay for more?

Does it seem fair to you that some woman who spent here entire life cleaning the dirt of folks windshields with a dirt cloth and a bottle of water in an old Windex container striving everyday in all sorts of weather to earn an honest living will be denied a treatment when some other woman who did nothing but marry a man who sent jobs overseas and butchered companies into small pieces and threw people out of work will be entitled to that same procedure?

What kind of a world do we live in when one woman will be condemned to death and the other just because she was born with blond hair and blue eyes be allowed life saving treatments -- you can not have folks paying for medical care in a country where the care is the best for all. It will give lesser care to we the people, it is not fair it is not right and it will not stand.

This whole class envy thing? It does not end well. It can not, that is what makes progressive Dems such slimy critters, they have no idea of their end game(a tleast some of them do not)
No. of Recommendations: 0
if a person covered by Medicare desires care, and Medicare says "we pay for that sort of treatment in some cases, but you don't qualify according to our rules"... then any doctor who provides the treatment and receives payment for it is completely disqualified from Medicare.

This is the first I have heard of this.

I am outraged.

WOW!

Do you have any idea where I could get verification of this. I would like to use it in the future, because I always understood the exact opposite.

Thanks,