Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2

You're not looking for 'a broker'. Schwab and Fidelity are brokers. You're looking for a 'financial adviser', and your wife ought be part of the selection process.

Back in the day, what you're calling a 'broker' was a "customer's man" who offered advice and managed the account. These days, brokers are "account reps", but really are mostly just clerks who act according to company policy and who can execute trades, but who themselves know little about how to manage money and pretty much don't trade for their own account. Also, these days, the "robo advisors" are doing a good job of beating active money managers.

In reality, you need the services of three different people, a tax guy (or gal), a lawyer, and a financial advisor.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.