Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
January was an interesting month. Lots of opportunity, but it’s becoming quite a tricky market environment. But was it really? There is almost $2Trillion stimulous money coming down the pipe. For me it was a crazy month. I pretty well went into a holding pattern mid month in the portfolio and then went for heart surgery to replace my aortal valve and add three bypasses. I was in and out in 4 days and have been home recuperating since then.

I went to a defensive, high quality, no brainer portfolio, and as of this weekend my portfolio looks like this:
THMO 21%
LUMN 21%
CRWD 18%
NET 13%
ZM 11%
ENPH 5%
PLTR 3%
MGNI 3%
FNMA 2%
Cashish 3%

THMO – Thermogenesys - No news on THMO. They expanded this business last year by introducing a test for COVID-19 antibodies that works by placing a drop of blood on a test strip ( similar to a home pregnancy test - but different ) and waiting 5 minutes for a control line and an indicator line to change color. The US Patent Office awarded a patent for the invention. The test is inexpensive ( they claim $5 ) and I think this is the next stage of fighting the COVID-19 epidemic, that is, each person will need to know whether their immunity is still present.
I’m still holding THMO but I am using it to raise cash when it is up. I have the position, too late to talk about what ever else could have happened, just making the most of the situation.
LUMN – Lumen - LUMN is finally justifying my faith in it. This is the old CenturyLink under a new name. They operate a world wide broadband/fibre network and they are migrating elegantly into the cloud based future. In December they announced a consulting group and they have announced they will now provide cloud edge computing ( thus a new NET rival ) and Data Storge services. I expect that they will soon be placing cloud edge servers within mere feet of the fibre network that they are serving, and for the super high speed customer that will be a huge advantage.

CRWD – Another no-intro Saul stock. Entered this one on the bottom pattern (chart) last month and have been adding to it this past month in anticipation of their earnings announcement. I’ll hold until it reaches the top of its Bollinger (chart channel ) range again.

NET – Needs no intro. I’m just playing the charts on this one. Buy low, sell high. Watch the charts..
https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp...

ZM – Zoom, long term gorilla, no introduction necessary. I picked up the position last month and held for a while. There was a strong move to the upper band mid month and I sold some.

ENPH – EnPhase – is a big solar stock. They will be a huge player in small power systems for many years. Biggest headwind for the PV solar industry is that they consume a lot of silver to make panels and silver has become a commodity play again. This may affect the industry, so might the new Green Eval of Renewable energy in Texas after the recent weather disaster, but in the end, there will be much of PV solar in the future, ENPH at $180 is a solid entry for a long term play.

GAN, SKLZ, AUY, PSLV – Sold all of those getting into a safer portfolio while I had surgery.

PLTR - Palantir – Cathie Wood loves it, I had some cash, they signed contracts with most of the government. I’m not a fan of their form (SPAC) or function ( government surveillance ) but no use betting against them.

MGNI – Another Saul board play. I’m adding or dropping some here and there based on the chart and the need for cash, but it looks like a winner, so as a general rule I’ll keep some around.

FNMA – I’ve commented in the past about my ‘Stupid Trader Trick’ of buying Fannie Mae anytime it falls below $2, then selling quickly above $2, rinse, repeat . That play has worked several times over the last few months and it happened again in January. This time I’m in at an average of $1.81, I didn’t sell as it went to $2.12, and now it’s back at $1.95. But they have announced that they are now able to keep their earnings ( I’m not going to start explaining all that stuff ) so I expect they will be going up again in the near future.

GME – GameStop – GME is gone. Over the whole ‘Reddit Short Squeeze’ play, I probably left a donation for some of the late comers over at Reddit. I made a little money getting in and out of BB, PSLV, and MP. All names I picked up over there, Lost some on GME and walked away. We’re not done yet, watching silver and, if you don’t mind me reading some tea leaves here, I think we are watching the old, big clunky investment industry dog trying to learn how to deal with a demographic of new pups rising up as a pack. Last week they were worried that the big tech selloff was caused by a half point rise in bond returns and that therefore ( obviously) the tech rally was almost over because, well, those peeps can get 1.4% sitting in a bond. I don’t think so. As a general rule, we have a lot of good names sitting at good prices right now, and while some of the froth may be coming out of the pricing, the cloud is not going away anytime soon. I think the Street wants what we are finding, and what used to be a couple dozen tech stocks and a small dedicated group of speculators, is starting to go mainstream. This can lead to a lot of new activity, there will be opportunity.

And through it all I’m up 20% YTD, that’s down a bit from last month just due to the tech selloff of last week. But I think I’m into this portfolio at good prices, I’m ready to have a good month. Wishing you all great success, and while I have a minute to say it, “THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEDICAL PEEPS OUT THERE FOR ALL YOU DO!!!!” I went into heart surgery last Thursday afternoon and went home the following Monday. The progress that the medical profession is making is incredible.

And thanks again for all you do and share.

Ray
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.